The big highlight of this week in Borger is the new SUPER walmart opening. (for others...not missionaries...haha) I've heard it is one of the biggest in TX. It is all people can talk about...haha Suddenly people realize how much they don't have and just want to buy up the whole store. It is kind of sad.
I truly do love the members here in Borger. The majority of the ward are converts. They don't know much, but they know it is true, the love it, and they do all they can to share it.
They are doing all they can to share the #ShareTheGift Christmas Initiative. If you haven't yet put it on your Fb, I invite you to!
The members have gotten so much back lash from friends, family, etc by posting a video of Christ. One women came and cried to us on Sunday about the horrible comments people where sending her. Each week we hear stories of incredible people in Borger standing up for what they know to be true.
And the members aren't the only ones....
We were kicked out of the nonprofit organization that we have volunteered at each week for 3 months. The Board of directors got together and "googled" Mormons for an hour. Put together a mix of crazy beliefs. Some from other faiths, but most just made up. They made up this elaborate skeem to try and get us to leave (long story) but it didn't work out. So they called us in when no one was there to tell us to not come back because we were basically going to hell....and couldn't be around the people there
As we were all leaving I decided we couldn't leave on that note so I went back in to talk with the President. It was honestly so scary, but I did my best to clear up all I could. All she wanted to know was if I had accepted Christ as my personal savior. I wanted to shake her and scream haven't you looked at my name tag even once these past 3 months as we have prayed in a circle each week!! It says The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. ahhh...but I didn't. I told her how much we admired what they do, how much I do love Christ, and we are always here to help and we left.
Both the experiences of the members and my own as a missionary make me think of the talk Elder Holland gave in the April 2014 Conference:
"With admiration and encouragement for everyone who will need to remain steadfast in these latter days, I say to all and especially the youth of the Church that if you haven’t already, you will one day find yourself called upon to defend your faith or perhaps even endure some personal abuse simply because you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ <http://www.mormon.org/beliefs/jesus-christ> of Latter-day Saints. Such moments will require both courage and courtesy on your part."
I know this church is true. I know Christ lives. I have a testimony that he not only lived, and died, but still lives today. Sister Langston and I are plowing our way through memorizing the Living Christ before Christmas! I also have learned 4 hyms on the piano! AND I finished the Book of Mormon in Spanish this week! Still not fluent...oh well! I'll just read it again!
Love you all!!
P.s. thanksgiving was great! Several members invited us over. TOO much food!
No comments:
Post a Comment